Thursday 24 October 2019

Huddersfield Town 0-0 Middlesbrough

Huddersfield Town 0-0 Middlesbrough
Sky Bet Championship
Wednesday 23rd October 2019

I've always believed in taking accountability for my own actions so I'd like to issue an apology to both Huddersfield and Middlesbrough supporters for ruining your night.

Before heading to West Yorkshire I was consciously aware that I'd not witnessed a stalemate since Inverness Caledonian Thistle simply didn't to go ballistic (and couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo, infact) up at Peterhead in the Betfred Cup in July.

I had a gut-feeling this clash wouldn't be a classic as both teams have trudged along rather sluggishly, dragging their heels in the Championship so far this term.

The previous two times I'd seen Middlesbrough - at Leeds United (August 2018) and at Aston Villa (May 2018), on both occasions those games finished goalless - though I'll blame a lack of goalmouth action in those affairs on the ultra-defensive methods of a certain Tony Pulis!

As you can see though, with my presence and proven track record, the writing was on the wall for Huddersfield fans to see a 0-0 on home soil for the first time in more than a year, as soon as I plonked my backside on a seat.

Even the turnstile operators attempted a last-ditch bid to prevent my attendance as a ticketing issue with the portable scanning devices wouldn't recognise those in possession of a 'paper ticket' at every turnstile across the stadium.

Unfortunately, however, I'd arrived early which meant there was loads of time for things to be rectified so I could perform my 'grim reaper' act!

I did leave the stadium some 20 minutes before the final whistle - my equivalent of a manager throwing on a big frontman from the subs bench in a desperate bid for a goal. Usually, it works and my 'early' departure is met with a ferocious roar a few minutes later, but even as I toddled off down Gasworks Street in total darkness, no loud cheer was forthcoming and those still inside the stadium suffered.

It really was one of those nights and at least those who'd, probably quite sensibly, stayed at home to watch it on Sky Sports could turn it off when they did become bored.

In all seriousness, both teams were well-matched, yet it was the visitors who carved out more openings and looked more creative on the ball, and if they had someone capable of finishing they'd have took three points back to Teesside.

There's not much else that can be said about the game itself, so as Brian Potter used to say on the closing credits of nearly every episode of Phoenix Nights: 'Next'...

Away from the action (or lack of it) on the pitch, despite spending three years in Huddersfield what now seems a lifetime ago, I'd forgotten how decent the stadium is. It's had that many sponsored names during its existence that I'm not actually sure what it's called nowadays.

However, it remains impressive in architecture and design; better than most of the flat-roofed, IKEA-type out-of-town 'new builds' that have sprung up in the years since this place flung open its doors for the first time.

Sadly, the Terriers hierarchy didn't play 'Sweet Disposition' over the PA system before this game. It's a song which will always remind me of my time 'In 'Uddersfield' when the Terriers were serial League One underachievers with Lee Clark in charge.

As animated as current manager Danny Cowley might sometimes get in the technical area, he has some way to go to match Clarky's fits of rage and near-psychopathic outbursts.

Next up: Swansea City vs Cardiff City!















No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.